|location||Introduced in 2005|
|draft||4.50′ / 5.80′|
There’s nothing quite like steering a sleek, fast boat with a light touch on the tiller, the stability of a keel below, being close to the water and sliding through waves with barely a wake or whisper.
The comforts that experienced sailors appreciate are part of the package. A two cylinder inboard saildrive hums along at 6.5 knots like a sewing machine, when you can hear it. There’s a bona fide marine head and even a couple of bunks with an option for a V-berth forward for the occasional overnight. A dodger works to extend the sailing season.
If you plan to single-hand the boat or do some relaxed non-spinnaker racing, the Hoyt jib boom works great! Using this system, TERN won what one captain called, “the race from hell”…the 2004 Maine Retired (Age 65+) Skipper’s Race. In dense fog, torrential rain, lightning, and 40 degree windshifts, the J/100 excelled. No need to overwork the crew or have anyone on the foredeck when there’s a self-tacking jib and automatic whisker pole. TERN tacked effortlessly on 10 degree shifts, winning the trophy for the fastest of 38 starters. Five minutes back were larger boats with more crew, big winches and huge genoas.
If the joy of sailing is a priority… the feel of acceleration and response of a good boat… we believe you’ll find this ‘J” to be 100% perfect for your day’s sail!
We’re pleased to announce new changes that take effect immediately with the molding of the first 2010 model J/100 in the coming weeks.
1) NEW BOW SPRIT OPTION – a J/95-style hidden bowsprit housing with molded removable cover, plus retractable carbon sprit to provide a sizable increase in spinnaker area and a big boost in downwind performance. Note for current J/100 owners – we plan to make the bow sprit package available as a refit option.
2) NEW standard J Boats customized Forte tapered carbon fiber mast (will meet one-design specs).
3) NEW standard foredeck anchor locker for convenient anchor, fender and dockline storage.
4) NEW standard white foredeck toe-rail with clean hull/deck joint aft (like J/122) with option for full-length toe-rail in teak or white.
5) CCF Composites molded hull, deck and bulkheads, vacuum infused to FCS laminate specifications in CCF’s state of the art facility in Bristol, RI
The J/100 continues to stir the soul of nearly everyone who sails and sees her. This beauty has brought families back sailing together, former sailors out of powerboat retirement and has even revitalized some who thought they had lost their need for speed. It’s a boat that’s ahead of its time as well as ahead of the curve (baby boom), meaning there will be more people than ever in the coming years whose sailing life-cycle will become aligned with the J/100. The new 2010 model is designed to accelerate the curve even quicker!