The following reviews of the Baba 35 have been collected in one location to make your research of the design that much easier. Please contact the Murray Yacht Sales Team to discuss the Baba 35 in greater detail. Click the Murray Yacht Sales Sailboat Brokerage List for our latest list of used sailboats for sale.
BLUE WATER BOATS REVIEW OF THE BABA 35
Popularly known as the Baba 35, this traditionally styled full-keel double ender from the drawing board of Robert H. Perry started life officially dubbed the Flying Dutchman 35. It’s one of the prettiest of double-enders from Perry, blessed with beautifully proportioned lines that many fall in love with.
SAILING MAGAZINE REVIEWS THE BABA 35
Sailors who admire the Baba 35 are quick to point out that the bluewater cruiser possesses both beauty and brawn. The full-keel, double-ended cutter was designed by naval architect Robert H. Perry. When it first splashed in 1979, the boat was dubbed the Flying Dutchman.
Standard Features and Equipment
Hull and Deck
- Hand laminated FRP hull designed to meet or exceed Lloyds specifications. Lloyd certificate available at additional cost.
- Hand laminated FRP and end-grain wood sandwich construction deck and cabin.
- Textured non-skid surfaces on deck flats and cabin top. Teak overlay on cockpit seating area.
- Hull-to-deck joint chemically bonded, fastened with stainless steel bolts, cosmetically finished with teak caprail fastened with stainless steel bolts.
- Internal cast iron single-ingot ballast, glassed over to reinforce hull section.
- Laminated bowsprit with double anchor rollers.
Hardware and Equipment
- Aluminum spar set and stainless steel standing rigging to designer’s specifications.
- Yacht braid running rigging and prestretched yacht braid halyards with snap shackles.
- Jiffy reefing, outhaul, and topping lift.
- Nine LEWMAR winches:
- Primaries – 2 #42C
- Secondaries – 2 #16C
- Mainsheet – 1 #40C
- Main halyard – 1 #16C
- Yankee halyard – 1 #24C
- Staysail halyard – 1 #8C
- Reefing – 1 #8C
- Roller bearing mainsheet traveler.
- Aluminum genoa and staysail sheet tracks.
- Schaefer blocks for all running rigging.
- Double rail stainless steel bow and stern pulpits.
- Double lifelines with opening gates P & S.
- All deck hardware thru-bolted with stainless steel backing plates.
- Tiller steering, laminated hardwood tiller handle.
- Bronze lever-action seacocks.
- Stainless steel deck pipe to chain locker.
- Sampson post, six hawse fairleads and mooring cleats.
- Large teak double-opening skylight over main salon.
- Teak opening hatch at forward end of cabin.
- Twelve bronze opening ports with stainless steel exterior trim rings.
- Two forward and two aft dorade vents.
- Teak caprail, cockpit coaming and cabin accent trim, cockpit and bow well gratings.
- One large, deep cockpit locker. One shallow cockpit lines locker.
- Louvered teak companionway doors and drop boards.
- Vented cockpit propane locker for two 5 gallon bottles.
- Mainsail with two reef rows and mainsail cover.
- Yankee jib with ready bag.
- Staysail with ready bag.
Tankage and Machinery
- 44 hp Yanmar four cylinder FWC marine diesel engine.
- 75 gallon baffled black iron fuel tank with large inspection port.
- 100 gallons fresh water in two baffled stainless steel tanks with large inspection ports.
- Fresh water hand or foot pumps in galley and head.
- Enclosed marine head with holding tank and “Y” valve.
- Two bilge pumps (manual and 12 volt electric).
- 12 volt and 110 volt electrical systems with circuit breaker panel and shore power connection.
- 100 A/H heavy duty marine battery with 4-way switch.
- Navigation lights to International Rules.
- Mast anchor and foredeck lights.
- Electrical bonding system to chainplates, tanks, thru-hulls, etc.
- Choice of sleeping accommodations for four to six.
- Large double berth forward with lockers and drawers below, louvered lockers and shelves P & S.
- Large hanging lockers, port forward with louvered doors.
- Highest quality teak veneer interior bulkheads.
- Enclosed head with Formica interior bulkheads, teak louvered locker and mirror, sink and Formica counter top. Shower sump & grating.
- P & S setee/berths with louvered lockers, shelves, and seatback lockers.
- Large fixed teak dinette table with optional “fold-over” leaf.
- Teak overhead grabrails.
- Teak/lightwood cabin sole.
- Extremely efficient galley arrangement with large well insulated top loading ice box; large asbestos/stainless steel lined stove area; stainless steel sinks with covers; easily cleaned Formica counter tops; and numerous drawers, lockers, and shelves throughout the galley area.
- Drained wet locker at companionway, starboard.
- Navigation station located starboard aft, with hinged chart table storage, shelves, and lockers.
- Traditional quarterberth aft with storage below, or ….
- Large louvered storage locker aft of navigation seat, plus additional cockpit locker.
- 4″ foam, vinyl cushions.
- Spruce battening on exposed hull areas within cabin.
Use the Murray Yacht Sales National Search Engine
to find Baba 35 that are currently for sale